THE ACADEMIC PROGRAM           ( back to the PPG )
Your academic goal is to achieve either a bachelor degree (4 years) or an associate degree (2 years). Requirements for graduation in the various associate degree programs are from 62 to 65 credits, and are at least 122 credits in bachelor degree programs. You should refer to the applicable College Catalog in effect at the time of your matriculation for a listing of your degree requirements:

2016-17 Catalog

2015-16 Catalog

2014-15 Catalog

2013-14 Catalog

2012-13 Catalog

2011-12 Catalog

2010-11 Catalog

2009-10 Catalog

2008-09 Catalog 

2007-08 Catalog

2006-07 Catalog 

2005-06 Catalog  

Students should plan to earn credit for the bachelor degree in the Concordia Distinctive and the Individualized Graduation Plan. The IGP consists of the program(s) of study, the exploration/enrichment sequence, and experiential learning.  Please note that transcript credit (ENG T091, MAT T091, and certain ESL courses) does not count toward fulfilling the requirements of any degree.

Concordia Distinctive
Each bachelor degree program has a required general education curriculum, known as the Concordia Distinctive, found in the Catalog, in effect at the time the student was admitted to the college. Try to fulfill most of these requirements in the freshman and sophomore years.

The Major
The major is the area of your special interest. The college catalog lists the requirements for each major.

Free Electives
Free electives are those credit hours needed after all general education curriculum and major requirements are met. Choose courses that interest you or enrich your major. You may use any course the college offers, but note the following:

a.   If you are in a Bachelor of Arts degree program, a minimum of 90 of your credits must be in liberal arts and science courses. The minimum is 60 hours in a Bachelor of Science degree program. Those courses which may be used for liberal arts and science credit are listed below in the LIBERAL ARTS AND SCIENCE COURSES section of this PPG.

b.   You may not count toward graduation more than 4 credits of applied music unless they are required within your Major.

>   Cross-listed courses may be used in one of two areas but not both. For instance, BIO/SSC 285 may be used for either a social science elective (SSC 285) or a natural science elective (BIO 285) but not both. Decide before registration and register under the appropriate department number.

>   Credit is never given if you exempt from a course (e.g., MAT 100).

The following courses may be used toward meeting the liberal arts and science credit minimums of the various BA or BS programs. All references are to courses listed in the college catalog.

Art (ART) The following may be used: 103, 114, 171, 203, 210, 222, 230, 250 and 271.
Biology (BIO) All courses may be used.
Business (BUS) The following may be used: 282, 332, 361, 366, 371, and 467.
Chemistry (CHM) All courses may be used.
Communication (COM) All courses may be used.
Earth Science (ESC) All courses may be used.
Economics (ECO) All courses may be used except ECO 365.
Education (EDU) EDU 294, 323 and 371 may be used.
English (ENG) All courses except ENG T091.
Foreign Language All courses listed under the following headings may be used: English Language (ENL) all courses may be used except 105, French (FRE), German (GER), Greek (GRK), Hebrew (HEB), Italian (ITL), Latin (LAT), Sign Language (SLA), Spanish (SPA), and other modern foreign languages not offered at Concordia.
Geography (GEO) All courses may be used.
Government (GOV) All courses may be used.
History (HIS) All courses may be used.
Humanities (HUM) All courses may be used.
Integrated Studies (ISP) All courses may be used.
International Studies (INS) All courses except 347 and 492 may be used.
Mathematics (MAT) All courses except MAT T091.
Music (MUS) The following may be used: MUS 104, 105, 106, 110, 160, 203, 206, 209, 221 and 222, 223 and 224, 251, 260, 303, 305, 311, 312, 325, 360, 411, 441 and 460.
New Media Communication (NMC) The following may be used: 231, 232, 233, 331, 332 and 342.
Philosophy (PHI) All courses may be used.
Physics (PHY) All courses may be used.
Political Science (POL) All courses may be used.
Psychology (PSY) All courses may be used.
Religion (REL) All courses except REL 248.
Science (SCI) All courses may be used.
Social Science (SSC) All courses may be used.
Social Work (SWK) SWK 110, 241, 255, 281, 302, 303 and 311 may be used. 

Students matriculated prior to the Fall 2014 who are required to take COM 200, may replace it with one of the following substitute courses taken after the Fall 2014 Semester: ENG 201, ENG 203, ENG 211, ENG 212, ENG 213, ENG 222, ENG 223, ENG 232, ENG 233, or ENG 241(this course may be used only once within the Concordia Distinctive), ENG 260 (Fall 2015 or Spring 2017). NOTE: Students in the English Major or English Concentration who use one of these courses to replace COM 200, may not also use this course toward meeting program requirements. Additional coursework within the program is required. Consult your Adviser.

Students matriculated prior to Fall 2014 who are required to take REL 300 in the Concordia Distinctive may fulfill that requirement by taking one of the following courses (offered on a limited basis): REL 300, REL 305, REL 325, REL 331, REL 332, REL 333, REL 334.

On the Course Schedule, some new courses and their descriptions are not yet listed in the catalog. Descriptions of these courses are found by following this new course description PPG link.

Some courses have prerequisites. These are listed in the catalog, and a listing is available for you in the registrar's office. If you register for a course and lack the prerequisites, your registration can be voided by either the instructor or the registrar.

Some courses carry special fees. These are listed on the Course Schedule.

"Independent Study" and "Independent Scholarship" refer to self-directed courses of study supervised by a faculty member. If your self-directed course is one that is listed in the catalog but not being offered in the current semester, it is called an Independent Scholarship. If your self-directed course is a unique course designed by you and your faculty sponsor, it is called an Independent Study.

Independent Scholarships are not normally permitted if the course in question is being offered during the current semester. Independent Studies may offer 1 to 3 credits. Applications for both types of study are available in the Dean of the College’s Office and must be approved by the end of the add-drop period of the semester in which you propose to undertake your self-directed study. Courses offered in this fashion carry a fee of $140 per credit in addition to regular tuition charges.

The College assists upper-level students in entering into credit-bearing internship arrangements with businesses and professional agencies in the Westchester County/New York City area. These internships are considered educational enrichment experiences related to the student's major and are under the direction of a faculty mentor. Students must complete the Internship Application paperwork and be registered for the internship course BEFORE they begin the actual work related to the experience. Students should plan accordingly because the paperwork involves several people and takes some time to complete. This is the students’ responsibility! Interested students must consult a counselor in the Career Development Center for the Internship Guide and any questions related to it. The Internship Guide can also be found at: Further information regarding the internship program is available from Laura Grevi, the director of the Career Development Center.

Concordia is affiliated through a variety of cooperative programs with other area colleges. For further information on the programs listed below, see the faculty member indicated or refer to the catalog.

Communications – Dr. Mandana Nakhai

Mathematics -- Dr. John Loase

Visiting Student Program (Concordia University System) – Registrar’s Office